Sunday, January 29, 2012

Two questions I get asked

When I am asked if I miss DC, my first thought is "I am too busy to miss it" - but that is not the whole truth. Do I miss DC? Sure I do.  Whenever I see one of my former students or colleagues, I am immediately filled with joy. It makes me happy to see them. I miss getting to interact with them and knowing them better. I will especially miss not taking students on mission trips or to service projects and seeing them grow "right before my eyes." And I especially miss the people there who shared with me an incredible passion to serve God in that place and at that time.

But I don't mope for DC. I am busy, and I love what I am doing now. I have a new group of students that I am working with at both Commerce and Richland. I love getting to interact with them and to know them. And my doctoral classes keep me engaged and help me with my work. But none of this doesn't mean I don't miss the people at DC. There live, work and play some of the best people in the world - both students and adults.

Here is the second question I am sometimes asked:  "Do you know how things are going at DC?" I don't feel qualified to answer. I don't sit and talk or phone and chat with anyone there. This is an institution question. Even when you are working there, it is always a difficult question to answer. What exactly is being asked? How is the system, how is the community there as a whole?  Or what is teacher morale? Student morale? Academic achievement? Financial status? The spiritual focus of administration and faculty? Of the students? And, by the way, how do you measure any of it?

So, here is my answer: God bless all the people who serve at Dallas Christian School whether student, staff or parent. I pray that their eyes be open to the Lord Jesus in everything that they do, that they realize their place in the kingdom, serving kids, families, and the world that others ignore. If they will do that, their light will always shine and they will be doing quite well, thank-you-very-much.

1 comment: