Friday, July 1, 2011

The Crowne Affair, Part 1


            Ok, this post has nothing to do with The Thomas Crown Affair – neither the one with Steve McQueen nor the one with Pierce Brosnan. Mainly, I just wanted a catchy title. But the title does have to do with Larry Crowne, the Tom Hanks’ movie that is coming out today. Haven’t seen it but I understand it involves someone losing their job and going back to college. So there you have it. I quit my job and am going back to school.

            Some people start school after working for 30 (or more) years because they have been laid off their jobs (as in Larry Crowne). That is not what happened to me. Last spring I decided that the 2010 – 2011 school year would be the last year for me to work at Dallas Christian School.       

            Last year in my work with students I was able to do a lot of things that I felt honored and privileged to do. For example, I was able to listen to a student, who felt too ashamed to speak to others, share with me about how God's love had saved her from mental illness, to counsel with a student who felt like the death of a relative was his fault, argue for life with a student who believed that abortion was a "live option" for her, share the gospel with a student who believed that they could never be right with God (this student had written me a note with a final message, "Please help me.").

            These were some of the ministry highlights for me because I was clearly in a position to do what I believed that God called me to do at Dallas Christian School: be Jesus’ person to help kids in need. Obviously, these are not the only needs that existed in our school community. But these were desperately felt needs and I was glad that I was able to be there to serve.

            So why did I leave? More in part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment